While November is here and Thanksgiving is just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about the delicious menu we will soon enjoy. Whether you’re planning to host or attend a holiday gathering, here are a few things to consider for a heart-healthy Thanksgiving:
- Skip turkeys that are pre-based with butter.
- If you are using the turkey drippings to make gravy, skim off all the oil first.
- Cook the stuffing on the side instead of in the turkey.
- Give your favorite side dishes a healthy boost with lower fat, higher fiber ingredients.
- Fill your plate half full with salad and vegetable side dishes first.
- Enjoy your turkey with small amounts of gravy and cranberry sauce.
- Silence your sweet tooth with fruit.